Last year turned out nothing like I had hoped but probably exactly as I needed it too. Everything changed after an amicable parting of ways with my agent. It happens, a lot more than you hear about. He was restructuring his business model due to the economy and as a result our contract was dissolved. I learned a lot from him and feel that I am a better writer for having worked with him. As you can imagine though, with that happening much of what I had hoped to accomplish shifted. And my goals for 2011 have changed. I'm optimistic that it's going to be a fabulous year. Here are my resolutions:
1. I hope to sign with an excellent agent with whom I can build a career partnership with. What makes an agent excellent isn't necessarily their sales record or the size of their client list but their vision, work style, enthusiasm, and dedication. That's the kind of agent I'll be looking for!
2. I will continue to improve my craft and networking by attending workshops, retreats, and conferences. With registrations filled out for the San Diego State Writers' Conference in January and the San Francisco Writers' Conference in February, I'm on my way to accomplishing this one already!
3. I will finish writing and edit To Ride A Puca, my young adult historical fantasy set in Ireland and prepare to submit it. I'll also submit the two novels I wrote and edited in 2010.
4. I will write and edit two novels, a dystopian young adult novel, and a rewrite of a fantasy novel that I'm turning into a YA fantasy.
5. I will continue to provide you, my wonderful readers, with insightful and interesting posts that will hopefully help you in your own journey through the world of writing!
What do you have planned for 2011?