While working on character development I came up with this questionnaire of vital things I must know about my characters. Its geared toward young adult a bit but it would still work for adult genres as well. I've lumped together questions that are related to one another. I fill this out for every one of my characters. You may find it handy. Answer them from your character's point of view:
1) What is your full name? What name do you go by and why?
2) What do you look like? What are your best and worst features?
3) What is your birth date? Do you celebrate or avoid it and why?
4) How do you prefer to dress? Do you wear any jewelry?
5) What are your parents and siblings names? How old are your
siblings? Do you get along?
6) What type of people do you fit in best with?
7) Who are your friends? Enemies?
8) Who is your role model or idol?
9) Do you have any hobbies? Sports? Interests?
10) What do/did you want to be when you grow up?
11) What kind of music do you like? Movies? Books?
12) Do you have any bad habits? What habits in others can't you stand?
13) What do you do to relax?
14) What is your favorite food? Drink?
15) Does anything in particular embarrass you?
16) Are you agreeable or do you argue your point?
17) Do you have a temper?
18) Who is the most important person in the world to you?
19) Is there anything you're afraid of?
20) Do you have any secrets?
Use this one or make a list of your own and have fun with it! The important thing is to get to know your characters inside and out, as if their life was your own. The better you know them, the better your story will flow.